AoA scroll for Vladimir Báthory
By His Lordship François Thibault
We, Andreas and Isabella, King and Queen of the East, wish all to
know the esteem in which We hold Vladimir Báthory.
Accordingly, for his service to Our Kingdom, and to Us during Our
Reign, We do Award him these Arms: Purpure, on a chevron inverted
between three boar's heads couped argent, one and two, three
equal-armed celtic crosses sable. Done this XXIst day of April, Anno
Societatis XXXV, at Our Last Court, in Our Barony Beyond the
- Derived from Drogin's Gothic Littera Bastarde, but with some
modifications. Drogin's ductus does not seem to reflect any of the
examples he adduces for it; in attempt to improve authenticity, I have
based this hand on one of his examples. Unfortunately, since that
example does not contain a complete alphabet, I had to fall back on
Drogin's ductus for the missing letters.
- Winsor & Newton Black India Ink
- Main text: 3/4 mm Brause. Capital: 2 mm Brause.
- 4 mm minim height, 1 cm spacing between baselines. Capital is 4
- The vines and flowers are copied from
a book of hours by Simon
Marmion (sp? I don't have it handy just now), specifically the
Adoration of the Magi page. The colors were modified to mesh better
with the heraldry.
- Purple: ?
- Green: Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache Mistletoe Green (?)
- Blue: Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache Sky Blue (?)
- White: Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache Permanent White
- Red: Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache Flame Red
- Yellow: Caran d'Ache Golden
- Black: Caran d'Ache Black
- Aquarelle Arches Hot Press, 9" by 12".
- 5 cm on each side; border is another 5 cm
I did this scroll in too much of a rush (something like two weeks),
and it shows:
- I forgot to check to see if Vladimir had registered a
device until after I had already finished the text and inked in
the border; at that point, rather than start over with text
that contained the blazon smoothly, I had to fit it into the space I'd
allowed. I had to squeeze the hand down to fit; and then I left out
the last word, and had to erase and redo.
- The vines should properly have some shading on them to indicate
veins, but I simply did not have time to figure out how to do this
properly (this is the first time I've done acanthus vines); rather
than try it and mess up what I had, I decided to leave it.
- The crosses on the arms are somewhat messy.